I’m trying to get back into “food blogging mode” since returning from vacation. I cooked while we were gone but our internet connection at our rental house wasn’t very good and I didn’t bring my personal laptop with me. It’s amazing to me that even though my boyfriend and I have the same exact laptop I have such a connection to my own laptop. I missed all of my saved favorites and preferences and settings and saved passwords. Can you tell?? It was uncomfortable to use his for more than simple browsing.
I came back home to tons of tomatoes waiting for me on the kitchen counter. My younger brother had picked them the day before. He house-sat for us while we were gone and was supposed to be harvesting them and eating them. I don’t think he paid as much attention to the garden as he said he was because I found rotten, ripe tomatoes in the garden. Such a waste!! But I was glad to have the ones that he left on the counter for me.
I made a version of this recipe a few years ago for a friends baby shower but didn’t write it down so I tried to recreate it again from memory. It’s a good way to use up tomatoes if you have plenty laying around from your garden
- 4-5 cups diced roma tomatoes and halved cherry tomatoes (a mix depending on what you have around)
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- handful basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- In an 8 cup mixing bowl (I use one by Pampered Chef) combine chopped and halved tomatoes. Add all ingredients except cheese and stir together well. Add cheese and fold so that the cheese doesn’t break up too much.
- Serve with toasted baguette or wheat thin crackers. Would also be good on grilled chicken or shrimp.