Me preparing in advance for breakfast? What? I’m the person who buys Cliff bars, Luna bars and and Kashi granola bars and calls that breakfast on the weekdays. I don’t know what came over me!
Well, part of it is that Devin doesn’t eat breakfast in the morning unless I put it in his hand. Protein bars are expensive and get boring. Other frozen breakfast meals are bad for him and again…expensive. But he does eat oatmeal! I decided to make a large batch and put it in smaller bowls in the refrigerator to be eaten on the go in the morning. I’ve still had to microwave it for him and put it in his hand but he eats it. Hopefully it will also help him focus better in school
And it’s not just for Devin. I ate some a few times last week before I went to work out.
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal
- 4 cups skim milk
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup organic steel cut oats
- 3 tablespoons organic peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a large sauce, whisk together the milk, mashed banana and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Add the oats, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. The oats are done when soft and the liquid is absorbed. Stir in sugar and peanut butter.
- Makes 4-1 cup servings. Can be served with extra sliced bananas. Serve hot. I made mine while I was cooking dinner one night and refrigerated the servings in small plastic containers. When reheating you may want to add a little more milk.
Based on the recipe from The Pastry Affair
Note: I bought steel cut oatmeal which takes more liquid to cook than the old fashioned oats from the recipe I was following. That’s why I added more milk, banana etc.